For 25 years, the Summer Peacebuilding Institute (SPI) has brought 150 – 200 people each year to Eastern Mennonite University to live and learn together. We were sad to go online last year, though we still found ways to build meaningful relationships and communities with peacebuilders from all over the world. We were also able to include some of our favorite extracurricular activities such as guest speakers and online coffee breaks.
Due to the continuing unknowns of the COVID-19 pandemic and the difficulties of the vaccine rollout, the May and June courses for the 2021 Summer Peacebuilding Institute will be online. We will again have incredible courses (see below) and continue to have guest speakers and coffee breaks. We look forward to your involvement.
Scholarships, Fellowships and Organizational Discounts
We understand that financial difficulties may be extra challenging, especially during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. SPI offers a wide range of partial, matching, and full scholarships and fellowships to help you attend courses (Click here for information about all scholarships, fellowships, and discounts at SPI Online 2021).
Courses at SPI Online 2021 (May 17 – June 18, 2021)
(All courses for professional development or academic credit unless otherwise noted. Click course title for description as well as days and times of online portion of courses)
- Sexual Harms: Changing the Narrative
- Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience (STAR), Level 1
- Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience (STAR), Level 2
Restorative and Social Justice
- Building Resilience for Challenging Systemic Racism
- Circle Processes
- Digital Peacebuilding and PeaceTech: Understanding Social Media, Conflict and Online Violent Extremism
- Economics for Emancipation
- Restorative Justice: Principles, Theories & Applications
Leadership and Management
- Conflict Coaching
- Peacebuilding Management Essentials
- Project Cycle Management: Improving Impact for Practitioners (professional development only)
- Transformational Leadership for Organizational Change
- Transforming Community Spaces through Equitable Collaboration
Conflict Transformation Skills
- Analysis: Understanding Conflict (credit only)
- Formation for Peacebuilding Practice (credit only)
- Process Design for Conflict Transformation
To apply to SPI 2021, click here.