By David J. Smith, August 29, 2016
Hosted at Cleveland State University, in collaboration with the Alliance for Peacebuilding, Baldwin Wallace University, Cuyahoga Community College, George Mason University, The Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict, Kent State University, The Ohio School Resource Officer Association, The Ohio State University, Stark State College, The United Network of Young Peacebuilders, The University of Michigan – Dearborn and Wayne State University.
|Thursday, October 6||Overview of Root Causes and Current Issues in the Field
|Friday, October 7||What Works? Prevention Strategies
|Saturday, October 8||What Role Can Colleges and Universities Play in Addressing and Reducing the Challenges in Our Communities
College Administrators College Faculty/Staff College Students
K-12 Educators Health Educators Gender Based Violence Prevention
Practitioners Police Government
Public Policy Advocates Social Workers Counselors
Safe School Centers Departments of Education Youth Serving Organizations
Juvenile Courts Juvenile Detention Facilities Juvenile Prisons
Public Health Officials Policy Makers Community Organizations
Clergy Law Enforcement
Is your organization potentially interested in being a sponsor (special rates for faculty/staff/administrators and students, ads, display tables and more). Sponsor forms and payment deadline is September 1, 2016. Forms are accessible from the main conference web site.
How are people, especially young people, influenced by hate groups to plan and initiate acts of terrorism? In order to understand what the larger forces are that motivate people to take such extreme measures, we need to closely examine the social structures that lead youth to join these organizations and the ideological beliefs that motivate them. What forms of recruitment efforts are most successful and what role can institutes of higher education play in helping to address and prevent violent extremism? The conference will include a focus on prevention, intervention and response with an overarching focus on prevention methods such as community engagement, youth and community empowerment, and education.
- Ms. Brette Steele, Deputy Director of the CVE Task Force, Department of Homeland Security
- Heidi Beirich, Ph.D., Director, Intelligence Project, The Southern Poverty Law Center
- Saeed A. Khan, Professor, Near East & Asian Studies, Wayne State University
- Saji Prelis, Director of Children and Youth Programs, Search for Common Ground
- Julie Shedd, Ph.D., Associate Dean, School for Conflict Analysis and Resolution George Mason University
- Qamar-ul Huda, Ph.D., Senior Policy Advisor, U.S. Secretary John Kerry’s Office of Religion and Global Affairs, U.S. Department of State
- Stevan Weine M.D., Professor of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine
- Tony McAleer, President, Executive Director, Life After Hate
- Erin Wilson, Senior Officer, National Counterterrorism Center
- Michael E. Rolince, Senior Advisor, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Countering Violent Extremism Section
- Abdirizak Farah, Senior Policy Advisor, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Office, Department of Homeland Security
- Hardy Merriman, President, International Center on Nonviolent Conflict
- Sami Jamil Jadallah, Founder, Director, The Arab Peace Corps
- Tony Sgro, Chief Executive Officer and Founder, EdVenture
- Achaleke Christian Leke, Youth, Peace and Counter Violent Extremism Activist, United Network of Young Peacebuilders, Cameroon Youth Ambassador to the Commonwealth
- Saba Ismail, Co-Founder, AWARE Girls
- And more!
General Hotel Information:
A special discounted rate of $115.00 per night plus applicable taxes(single/double rooms), is secured at the Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square 1260 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115. Parking is available at the Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square for over night guests at $24.00 per day and $15.00 for day guest. All parking at the Hotel is valet parking in addition we offer a complimentary shuttle service that is accessible within a 5 mile radius of the Hotel, which includes Cleveland State University.
Costs and to Register: Please find all cost information on the conference web site at https://www.csuohio.edu/cehs/cve/cve-conference Discounts are available through September 15th. The registration link is also accessible from this page.